Lets Face the Facts
- The World Health Organization recognized the epidemic nature of diabetes in the last decade. In its first report on diabetes, the WHO has demonstrated that the projected number of adults living globally with diabetes almost quadrupled since 1980 from around 100 million to 423 million.
- About 50% of cases identified during studies were not even aware of having diabetes.
- 1 in every 11 Indian is diabetic and the incidences are spread almost equally across the rural and urban areas;
- 382 million people are living with diabetes; by 2035 this will rise to 592 million;
- 1 person dies of diabetes every 6 seconds in India;
- More than 79,000 children developed type 1 diabetes in 2013;
- More than 21 million live births (1 in every 6 births) were affected by diabetes during pregnancy in 2013
- Diabetes if not controlled early causes irreversible damage to other vital body organs and functions thus contributing not only to increase morbidity but also mortality
AWARENESS IS THE KEY!!!
At DAY we believe in and endorse the approach advocated by the WHO. In lieu, we have taken up the challenge of spreading awareness on the preventive and controllable aspects of the disease in the country through a host of well-designed and time-tested interventions. It is our firm conviction that awareness build-up amongst all age groups will help not only to reduce incidences of diabetes in future generations but also enable early identification of the condition in the present generation for whom our comprehensive management and care approach will ensure addition of healthy years to life.